Re: what is /.udev for ?

Maykel Moya wrote:
I recently realized that I had /.dev, after that, I rm -fr it what
rendered my system unbootabled.

Can somebody point me to info regarding /.dev. I have dig
in /usr/share/doc/udev and Google but found nothing.

$ mount | grep \\.dev
/dev on /.dev type unknown (rw,bind)

When udev starts, your real /dev is bind mounted to /.dev so you can still access it for whatever reason. As you have noticed, wiping it out removes your real /dev, which means that your system won't be able to boot up to the point where it would normally start udev. :(

Some argue that this is one of the places where the old devfs is superior to udev. ;)

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 5EA01078
Fingerprint 3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078