Re: OpenOffice2 on Debian

Hi,

Drew Parsons wrote:
> The OpenOffice web site gives clues for running the 1.9 test releases on
> Debian at
> http://installation.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=609
>
> These hints, for OO 1.9m51, are out of date for recent snapshots.
>
> I have gotten 1.9.74 to work on Debian unstable relatively easily:
>
> 1) download and unzip Linux binary tarball
> 2) convert rpms to deb with "alien -k -c *.rpm"
> 3) install debs (I installed redhat-menus rather than
>    suse-menus, but I'm not sure that either of them will help).

Umm. Why don't you use the debs we get as the output of upstreams
builsystem directly? :) They have been announced some days ago:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2005/01/msg00257.html. Look at
http://people.debian.org/~halls/openoffice/test/ooo1.9-java/.
(m73 so far, though)

> b) these instructions are for the OpenOffice binaries produced by
> OpenOffice.org for rpm systems.  There may be other hidden bugs similar
> to the libxml2 problem that I have not yet seen on a Debian system.
> Where possible, use deb files compiled for a Debian system.

See above, although they are just plain output of upstreams build system
and will have e.g. the libxml2 problem too I think.

"Normal" debs are worked on also...

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73