Re: [Ipw2100-devel] debian, ipw2200 and wlan0

ma, 2005-02-07 kello 16:50 +0100, Mike Hommey kirjoitti:
> Debian is a distribution which tries to provide good software, implying
> changes if necessary.

I completely agree with this. If changing a program makes it better,
Debian should do it even if upstream doesn't. Such changes should be
justified, of course; preferably explicitly.

> Wireless interfaces should be called wlan%d, not eth%d

Why is this important? Why does the name of a network interface matter?
All the tools in Debian that can deal with network interfaces are
neutral about the name and the name isn't particularly significant to
users either. If one is worried about which interface name corresponds
to which physical device, guessing from the name is not a good way.
Using ifconfig or iwconfig or other tools to do it is a better way.

(I'm not saying that using wlan%d is bad or wrong, I am asking for
justifications for that name over eth%d.)