Re: Debug packages cluttering the archive

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:52:28AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> My feeling for some time has been that we should introduce a separate
> section in the archive, or a separate archive and come up with the
> infrastructure to upload -dbg packages to there, with separated
> debugging symbols in them (see dh_strip). This could be done for nearly
> all binary packages, not just libraries. Then people who want all the
> -dbg packages available can just add an apt line and install them at
> will.

We'll have to do a load of changes to the library packages when we introduce
multiarch in etch anyhow; can't we do this at the same time? (Ie.: "New
policy says you must follow multiarch, and make -dbg packages in
libdevel-dbg"). I fail to see the big point of -dbg for non-libraries,
though.

Archive bloat is still a problem, though.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/