Re: Debug packages cluttering the archive

El dom, 06-02-2005 a las 01:14 -0500, Glenn Maynard escribió:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 10:33:53PM -0700, Joel Aelwyn wrote:
> > It was brought up on IRC, a couple of weeks ago (my apologies, but I don't
> > recall who brought it up, nor do I have a log) that it is now possible
> > to strip debugging information from a binary or library, and keep the
> > debugging information in a separate file. When invoking GDB (I don't know
>
> Wow.  I've wanted this for a while, and VC has done it for years (at least
> since 1998)--it's a little disappointing that this has apparently been
> around for a couple years and still isn't mainline (/usr/bin/strip shows
> no sign of the -f option mentioned in the info page found from your
> google search).  I had no idea it was even implemented, though.
>
> (Aha: the strip tool mentioned is in elfutils, which is non-free.  Blah.)

 dh_strip does that. (man dh_strip)

 We are using it for generating -dbg packages for both pwlib and
openh323, reducing their size in a factor of 35, and also speeding up
compilation, as no other libs must be rebuilt.

 Regards,

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
   jsogo@debian.org