Re: list what's in the NEW queue?

On Friday 04 February 2005 14:14, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 13:26 +0100, Frederik Dannemare wrote:

> > > What I know is that every time an ftpmaster processes a batch of
> > > NEW packages, a percentage of them wind up in testing with
> > > serious bugs for failing to declare build-dependencies, and then
> > > the release team has to track these bugs.
> > >
> > > Since the testing scripts have no way to distinguish an
> > > architecture-specific package from a broken binary that only
> > > builds on the maintainer's system, the only strategies I can
> > > think of off-hand that would be effective at reducing this
> > > problem are to disallow all binary uploads from maintainers,
> >
> > [ snip ]
> >
> > Yes, much better to have everything built by the buildd in a clean
> > env, IMO. This would be on my wishlist for post-sarge. This topic
> > was also discussed (for other reasons, though; security concerns, I
> > think it was) last summer.
>
> I think this is an awful idea. This means that developers will no
> longer test their packages before uploading,
[ snip ]

I surely hope they would still do so. Another option could simply be to
proceed with the current way of uploading - but then let the buildd
rebuild the uploaded binary. Or is that somehow not feasible?

As of right now it is troublesome to build e.g. gl stuff as a maintainer
if you are using the nvidia drivers on your system. I'm sure there are
many, many other scenarios to choose from.

Best regards,
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare