Re: scripts to download porn in Debian?

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, Brian May wrote:

>     Don> 2. Should Debian publish content I disagree with which is
>     Don> DFSG free?
>
> I really think we need to draw the line somewhere.

We do draw the line somewhere currently:

   1) Must be DFSG Free

   2) Must have a maintainer willing to maintain it, and a Developer
      willing to upload it.

ftp-masters (with occasional help of debian-legal) deal with
determining if #1 is satisfied.

Maintainers and Developers deal with determining if #2 is satisfied,
ideally by applying some sort of common sense to their decision. The
ITP anouncement on -devel helps to at least makes sure Developers are
aware of the issues surrounding their package.

If you're suggesting that we need to move where the line is drawn,
then by all means, propose some reasonable metric which can be applied
to all packages as an extension of these two (rather basic) rules. The
appropriate forum for that is -project (or possibly -policy).

Perhaps I'm naive, but I would hope that Developers are capable of
exercising their judgement on #2 with enough veracity to be all the
arbitration necessary.

Don Armstrong