Re: apply to NM? ha!

On Sunday 30 January 2005 07:47, Helen Faulkner
<helen_ml_faulkner@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > For those of you who don't know Rusty has a fine collection of flames
> > (and other silly messages) written to some very skillful Linux
> > programmers.  You can write excellent code and be nice and still get
> > flamed a lot.  This is just something you have to deal with.
> >
> > Children have problems with this sort of thing, adults are supposed to be
> > able to deal with it.
>
> Hmm, maybe you think that behaviour like Rusty's is very adult then.

Laughing at people who flame you (as Rusty does) is very adult.

I probably should contribute some of the flames I've received to Rusty's
collection.

> > Anyone who can't deal with being flamed should not be permitted to drive
> > a car.  Other drivers will do offensive things, if you can't deal with it
> > then you can't drive safely and are a threat to the life of everyone on
> > the road.
>
> Ahh, it's the "I can deal with it therefore it's OK" line.  What if
> there is another solution?  Are you even prepared to consider that
> possibility?

That's not the issue.  The issue is that there are many stressful situations
in life and adults have to be able to deal with them.  Seriously, could you
please refrain from driving a car if you can't deal with such stress, I've
seen too many people flip out and almost kill themselves or other people
because they can't handle such stress while driving.

> What would you prefer:
> 1) - a community where people are pleasant to each other, where
> disagreements are discussed politely, and where people who are unable to
> be civil are not glorified for their behaviour.
> or

This isn't too far from the situation we have.  People who do the work are
generally civil to each other.  Occasionally people over-react but it's
generally no big deal.  There are flame-wars which are generally considered a
sport by everyone who is involved as it's usually obvious what the result
will be after the first few messages, people who don't like such things can
configure their MUA to discard the thread.

Flames from outsiders who don't contribute are easy to either ignore or deride
depending on your preference.

PS  You really should talk to some mothers about the stress involved with
raising children.  Most reports make raising children sound about a million
times more difficult than dealing with flames.