Re: not starting packages at boot

On 20-Jan-05, 22:09 (CST), Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> Sure, one can go behind the backs of maintainers with
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html#s3.6
> > ("Disabling daemon services")
> and hope you remember what you did. But it's not as friendly as
> the approaches more and more packages are taking, as seen in my /var/log/boot:

There is nothing more unfriendly than having

   '/etc/init.d/foo start'

fail because because of some non-standard bit of crap in
/etc/default/foo. I could tolerate it if packaged defaulted *on*, but it
seems the habit is to default off. And more importangly, as others have
said (every single time this comes up), there is an *existing* mechanism
to accomplish this that doesn't require modifying every daemon package:
invoke-rc.d and policy-rc.d.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland