Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

pe, 2005-01-21 kello 20:11 +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg kirjoitti:
> In article <[🔎] 41F14F2A.5010800@martin-kittel.de>,
> Martin Kittel  <debian@martin-kittel.de> wrote:
> >As far as I know there is no NPTL support in 2.4 debian kernels (as for
> >example in some RedHat 2.4 kernels). Is that correct?
> >In that case I will have to add a dependency on kernel-image-2.6
>
> Bad idea. On my systems, there is no kernel-image installed at all-
> I compile them myself. I bet I'm not the only one.
>
> >or does
> >anyone know of a better way to express a dependency on NPTL style threading?
>
> You can check in the preinst if the running kernel is new enough,
> but that is about all you can do.

Since it is not possible to depend on a kernel package for this, I would
advise the following:

a) add a note about requiring NPTL and working with LinuxThreads to the
description of the package, and also to its README.Debian

b) checking in the preinst is reasonable; if NTPL is not in use, giving
a warning is enough, it should still be possible to install the package
(because people might want to install the package anyway, and only use
it when they are running the proper kernel)

c) checking for NPTL support at run-time is also good, so that it is
clear why things don't work (a wrapper script around the real program
binary, or something); this also protects against the package being
installed while NTPL support was available, and then run without it