Lintian-induced changes in changelog, hardlinks? (Was: Re: Please consider bzip2 1.0.2-3 for sarge)

(moved to -devel, as this is offtopic for -release)

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:48:38PM +1100, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
>    * Fixed lintian warning "bzip2 libbz2-1.0 libbz2-dev binaries:
>      postinst-should-not-set-usr-doc-link".
>    * Fixed lintian warning "bzip2 binary: package-contains-hardlink
>      usr/bin/{bunzip2,bzcat,bzcmp,bzegrep,bzfgrep,bzless}".

It is not interesting to know that you fixed lintian warnings, what _is_
interesting to know is what changes you made to the package, this is a
changelog after all. That lintian prompted you to do the changes is
irrelevant.

Does bzip2 now install multiple instances of all those binaries? Are
they all but one now symlinks to one particular version?

Also, eh, I'm not convinced lintian is correct here in complaining,
I'm a bit unsure. Lintian has warned for any hardlinks for a long time,
but is it really bad to have them? Having them across different
directories might cause problems when the user has those on different
filesystems, but in the same directory? Opinions?

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl