Re: dselect and its help messages

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:52:47PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 11:19 +0100, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> >
> > IMHO people confused by dselect should switch to another dpkg/apt
> > frontend and not break it.
> >
> Exactly, I agree *entirely*.
>
> dselect has always used space to dismiss help messages and the current
> stable (woody) version of dselect still uses space to dismiss help
> messages.

yes, i'm aware of this. indeed i suppose you got many more sad users
because of the new behaviour than because of the original one. but this
is not the real problem, since it could be solved allowing both Enter
and Space to dismiss help messages.

> People were confused by this, so dselect was broken in unstable to allow
> Enter to be used.  Rather than breaking dselect, those people should
> switch to another dpkg/apt frontend.

are you saying i should use another frontend? tell me the truth and be
explicit, please :)

> As noted in the changelog, Enter (and 'Q') in dselect are dangerous
> keys, they commit changes.  Encouraging uses to hit Enter to dismiss
> screens they don't know about is therefore encouraging users to commit
> changes without considering them.

if the fact of hitting Enter to dismiss the help message confuses the
user at the point he instead commits changes, it looks like we need
another way to confirm rm -rf because people might be confused and wipe
the disk.

anyway, let me stop here. i don't want to start a flamewar. i wanted
only to cry publicly about the removal of something i found useful,
but apparently i'm alone. so it is really better the old behaviour has
been restored and peace with you all.

thank you for the --expert tip, i should have read it in the manpage
long time ago.

cheers
domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50