Re: soname number in name of dev-package?

Scripsit Jens Peter Secher <jps@debian.org>

> But the advice in the library packaging guide is to do something like

> 	Package: libpackage2-dev
> 	Provides: libpackage-dev
> 	Conflicts: libpackage-dev

> AFAICT the above approach offers nothing more than simply
> 	Package: libpackage-dev
> would do.  Right?

If the source-level API differs, then having libpackage2-dev will
allow other packages to Build-Depend on the API they are written
against. Of course this is especially relevant when the API change can
make things break silently, but even outside that case, an explicit
build-dependency is easier to diagnose (and/or search for mechanically
over all packages in testing, say) than sudden compiler failures.

One _might_ do

    Package: libpackage-dev
    Provides: libpackage2-dev

but I think offhand that having the distinction in the real package
name will be easier on apt and buildds.

--
Henning Makholm                                   "No one seems to know what
                                       distinguishes a bell from a whistle."