Re: PHP application packaging policy/best practice?

> it's _quite_ true that you don't need to play with include_path.
> your library has to know it's installed
> into /usr/share/php/<app-or-library-name> and either :
>  * use some __FILE__ magic in its requires/includes
>  * already use requires on <app-or-library-name>/*php files
>
> And I assume a lots of intern libraries are do not know how to do
> that. even some that ARE packaged into
> /usr/share/php/<app-or-library-name>

what a mess.
new try :

It's only half-true that putting a lib into /usr/share/php/<libname> is
fine. the lib has to be able to manage such a thing, and it's a
requirement for a lib put into /usr/share/php/<libname> to be able to
live there, without having to change anything in the include_path

what I meant is that :

libfile1.php live in /usr/share/php/mylib

if libfile2.php has a :

require 'libfile1.php'; anywhere, then it's not valid to package that
lib in /usr/share/php/mylib, because libfile2.php
NEEDS /usr/share/php/mylib to be in the include_path.

So packagers will have to patch such things with :

require dirname(__FILE__).'/'.'libfile1.php';

in order to make it /usr/share/php/<libname>--compliant

I hope this was more understandable that the previous post

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O