Re: MPEG in general Was: Is anyone packaging `lame' ?

On Saturday 08 Jan 2005 15:46, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > And every set top box manufacturer pays for their MPEG-2 (or MPEG-4)
> > licenses.
>
> Those are the patents for the transport mechanisms. Still not the decoders.

Sigh. You seem to have a talent for picking subjects for argument that you
know nothing about. Go study the licensing scheme and patent portfolio for
MPEG-2 and tell me how you can get around the motion compensation and
prediction patents for example[1] or the alternate scan patents, then maybe
you can tell the big silicon vendors where they're all going wrong.

[1] You will have to know how MPEG-2 decoding is performed to argue this
point.