Re: New stable version after Sarge

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:08:05PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:34:20PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:

>  > > One of the biggest disadvantages of Debian for me is the long time
>  > > it takes for a new stable version.

>  > > What about saying something like: the next stable release comes in
>  > > the beginning of 2006?

>  > The release date for a Debian release is not set by a calendar but by
>  > quality.  At least that's been the case including sarge.  Hence, such
>  > a sentence would not mean anything.

>  Then let's accept the premise behind the whole testing idea and target
>  Sarge+1 for Sarge+6 months.

>  Or does the <foo> team have plan that will stall that release for
>  another year?

Yes, I don't think the release team has any intention of working itself
ragged to get a second release out 6 months after sarge.  I also don't think
there's any consensus among developers (or users) that we *want* to release
Debian that frequently.

A 6-month period honestly doesn't allow us much time for new development
anyway.  If all we wanted was a point release of sarge, that'd be fine; but
I think most people would like to see etch be an improvement over sarge in
more respects than just hardware driver count, and we have to be realistic
that this means a period of heavy changes followed by a period to stabilize
everything again.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer