Re: ndiswrapper should be in contrib

Brian Nelson wrote:
On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:42:07AM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:

Package: ndiswrapper
Severity: serious
Tags: sarge, sid

Hi,

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:58:56PM -0500, William Ballard wrote:

Apparently the dickhead maintainer of ndiswrapper-source has just gone
into his shell and refuses to discuss this problem.

Btw, could anyone explain why ndiswrapper is in main?  It's only use
is to run propritary windows drivers inside the linux kernel, so it's
a clear fit for contrib.

Since when does usage matter?  frozen-bubble's only use is to waste
time.  My time isn't free, so remove it from main!

From the policy manual:

2.2.2 The contrib section

Every package in contrib and non-US/contrib must comply with the DFSG.

In addition, the packages in contrib and non-US/contrib

    * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
    * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

Furthermore, packages in contrib must not require a package in a non-US
section for compilation or execution.

Examples of packages which would be included in contrib or
non-US/contrib are:

    * free packages which require contrib, non-free packages or packages
which are not in our archive at all for compilation or execution, and
    * wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free
programs.

"wrapper" is even in the name.  It's only useful function is to
facilitate the use of a non-free program.

-Roberto Sanchez