Re: Always run dpkg --dry-run -i before running dpkg -i!

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:30 -0500, William Ballard wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:28:55PM +0100, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> > Btw: Leaving old packages build from -source packages around would quite well
> > do the trick. But I suppose W.B. wants to call more people assholes before
> > invoking brain functions...
>
> Right: I have to do all this special stuff to fix things that break
> because for god's sake the source package isn't going to help me out.
>
> For some strange reason with source packages Debian has decided "aw
> the RPM model's not so bad.  Just don't fuck up!"

There is a reason for build-dep, it only install the needed things to
compile.

There is a reason there is a package called: module-assistant

I have previous to its introduction, sweat bullets when ever I did the
things it does... so much so that I created a shell script to remind me
of all the steps. Asking me questions along the way. I nearly always
have a second term open to the machine I am working on... to double
check many things.

Tonight, I nearly screwed the pooch. On one of my production machines, I
was doing cleanup like I normally do... well my Lab-Boxer mix 8 month
old puppy (not small by any means) decided it want to play. She out her
playtoy on my keyboard as I was going to remove
/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/ipv4/netfilter/

I got to: /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/ipv4

when she drop the toy on my numeric-pad enter key.

Since this was an RPM machine... I always keep those custom compiled
packages around, usually about 3-4 versions.

I was able to look at the config, saw that I had compiled in all of ipv4
except the netfilter. So I was cool. Still I could have re-installed the
kernel RPM.

I also, keep a HUGE repository of Debian packages, my autoclean actually
does a copy of all the files it is going to delete to an nfs mount. That
way I can always sneaker net the packages over if I gotta.

Sorry WB, but the argument you started (by you) was lost when you did
not CYA. Why do we have to pay with bearing crudeness for your, albeit
accidental, mistake.

It is annoying to have this stuff happen, but as with all things, we
tend to become complacent with things and drop our standards/guards down
a bit. When we get bit, it hurts. We do it over and over and over again.

Me, I do stuff blindly, mainly because I know I can recover my mistakes.
Doing the self->foot(shoot)... well its not always easy to swallow
especially when you have limited resources at the locale you might be at
(Like Ma's home, or the CEO's Home Office)
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux