Re: Always run dpkg --dry-run -i before running dpkg -i!

#include <hallo.h>
* William Ballard [Thu, Jan 06 2005, 05:14:32PM]:

> > What *exactly* is the issue you have?
>
> Packages that generate packages as output that have
> dependencies the original package does not have.
>
> The resulting output may be uninstallable.

Though luck.

> The rationale is some people just want to build them.

>From my point of view, those source packages are most often installed by
a dependency of some other *utilities* package. Once they are installed,
$user can use module-assistant or make-kpkg to generate and install the
modules.

AFAICS you fail to realize that the way you like it is not always the
best way or the way that should be liked by everyone.

> But the package doesn't give me any clue that I'm
> about to shoot myself in the foot.

The dependencies may be mentioned in the Suggests of the souce package,
but not more, because otherwise you would have circular dependencies (or
non-sense dependencies), no good choice at all.

Regards,
Eduard.
--
<schneckal> hat einer von euch schon bind9 installiert?
<eis> das neue root kit? :->