Re: LCC and blobs

I demand that Glenn Maynard may or may not have written...

> I read this as a theoretical case to claim that the "local filesystem"
> metric was incorrect (at least in some cases)--since I thought it was
> obvious that pushing non-free stuff to a remote server and wgetting it is
> no different than moving it into non-free (a "remote server", as far as
> main is concerned) and Depend:ing on it--which means contrib, at best.

Fetch every time and fetch once. That looks like a difference to me...

>>> This could be as simple as mounting a tmpfs on /lib/firmware, and
>>> wgetting

[my comments about network availability removed - RELEVANT CONTEXT]

>> I'd say that a local cache is needed, though whether it's used should be
>> up to the local admin.

> ... so I don't know why we're talking about implementation details.  :)

I was pointing out that wget can theoretically fail to retrieve the binary.
;-)

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Oh, sarge too...

A violent man will die a violent death.