Re: LCC and blobs
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: LCC and blobs
- From: Darren Salt <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:42:07 +0000
- Message-id: <[🔎] 4D2790F374firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <20041220192342.GA26399@wonderland.linux.it> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20041224055921.GB9185@cloud.net.au> <email@example.com> <20041226071452.GB19963@cloud.net.au> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20041228000653.GA10194@cloud.net.au> <20041228004814.GA7868@benalee.co.uk> <20041228024532.GC791@zewt.org> <20041228052626.GB11723@cloud.net.au> <20041228060209.GE791@zewt.org> <41D5CC67.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <41D5E555.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I demand that Måns Rullgård may or may not have written...
> Anthony DeRobertis <email@example.com> writes:
>> Henning Makholm wrote:
>>> Scripsit Anthony DeRobertis <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>>> That would, however, cover firmware and wind up sending X to contrib. So
>>>> maybe: ... iff it is stored on the local machine's file system.
>>> That would be my *intuitive* understanding of how the mail/contrib
>>> difference works.
>> So would a web-based firmware loader, that never saved the firmware to
>> disk allow the drivers to be in main?
> This could be as simple as mounting a tmpfs on /lib/firmware, and wgetting
> some firmware files before loading any modules that might need them. The
> slightly more complicated solution would be to modify the hotplug scripts
> to fetch the files automatically.
* no network connection
- perhaps the hardware requires a firmware upload?
- usually resolvable with a cheap (<=£10) card
* part-time network connection
- machine may be a laptop
- connection may be time-limited in some way, e.g. to avoid per-call or
time-based charges on a dial-up account
I'd say that a local cache is needed, though whether it's used should be up
to the local admin.
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS | Toon Army | demon co uk
| We've got Shearer, you haven't
Since you're going to die anyway, can we use you as a shield?