Re: miscfiles NMU?

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:22:33PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> The nmu you (Wolfgang Sourdeau) just did of miscfiles was
> inappropriate.

Sorry, don't agree here. I'm not going to discuss specific bugs, but your
arguments are not correct 100%.

> None of these were release critical.

So?  Developer's Reference says: "Another reason why NMUs are done is when
a Debian developer needs to fix another developer's packages  (...) or when
the package maintainer is unable to release a fix in a timely fashion."
Not all of the bugs fixed in that NMU are long standing bugs, but some are.
Section  5.11.3 says "NMUs which fix serious or higher severity bugs are
encouraged and accepted." but it does not say anithing about lower severity
bugs.

> You must attempt to contact the developer of a package, and NMU's are

That's true, he should have followed the procedure described in
5.11.3
> not appropriate without permission for anything less than a serious
> bug.

This is not correct and has not been for quite some time. Please read
http://people.debian.org/~ajt/nmus.txt
and http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/01/msg00014.html

Maybe those wise words of advice from Ajt should be used to improve the NMU
section in the reference...

A common misconception is that NMUs should be done only for RC bugs. I've
done a few NMUs to packages that fix serious/normal/wishlist/minor bugs,
specially if those are trivial to fix and have been open for quite some
time (over a year?)

> Revert the NMU immediately.

It would be best if you too cooperated here and you fixed those bugs in a
new upload. Instead of reverting all of Wolfgang's work, why not reverting
those parts that were not correct?

Regards

Javier