Re: [OT] Re: debian culture

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:25, Michael Dominok
<michael.dominok@natural-computing.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:05, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:57, Michael Dominok
> >
> > <michael.dominok@natural-computing.de> wrote:
> > > [1] experimenting with diffenrent form of societies requieres a least a
> > > small territory which would be hard to defend when you don't have a
> > > government or an army.
> >
> > Or the territory can be difficult to access due to geography.
> >
> > There are quite a number of island states of which the population is
> > rapidly leaving due to global warming.  I'm sure that a group of
> > anarchists would be welcome to some of them.
>
> you're not inviting some to come to aussi-land[1], are you? 8-)

The Australian population is rising quite rapidly due to immigration, and
would be rising even more rapidly if the government didn't try so hard to
keep them out.

> well, making some experiments on an sinking island wouldn't really give
> answers on long-term survivability of an anarchist society.

The islands aren't sinking.  The ones with the worst erosion could be
controlled if someone had the resources.  There has been some interesting
research concerning ways of stimulating development of marine life, one I
heard of was dumping iron oxide into the sea.  Maybe if a group of people
took over an island, imported iron oxide etc to stimulate reef development
and parked some old ships on the sea floor just off the cost then things
would improve.

> [1]refering to asutralia as an island rather than a continent is of
> course - at least - provocative and i don't really know if people

The adverts for Bacardi Rum shown on Australian TV refer to Australia as "the
world's largest island".  Presumably Bacardi did their research and found
that no significant numbers of potential customers get offended by such
things.