Re: debian culture

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:40:28AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Groups of 6 to 8 have been proven to be the most effective from a
> teamwork perspective, debian is structured to be a single group of 800
> people, it makes it hard.

> The DPL and the technical committee are the only ones who have broad
> powers, i think debian has a kind of power vaccum, we do have a leader
> (i dont think the technical committee is very active), but its
> a hard job for anyone to directly lead a group of 800 volunteers.

> Perhaps debian needs structural change, Lieutenants ?

What powers and responsibilities would you give these lieutenants?  How
would they restructure the Debian team into smaller workgroups?

You seem to be suggesting some sort of formal delegate status.  What
would be the benefit of having formally delegated lieutenants, over the
self-organizing teams we're now seeing arise for things like X, the
kernel, apache, the installer, etc.?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer