Re: debian culture

Glenn McGrath wrote:
> To change something that isnt your responsibility you have to either
> directly convince the person who is responible to change something, or
> get into a "mindshare" battle (aka flamefest) on -devel, get a rough
> concensus there and try and guilt the person responsible into changing
> something.

The best way to get something changed is to make it clear to everyone,
in a quiet and yet compelling way, why the change is in their best
interests to do. Flamefests do not build mindshare. When I saw that
most of the debian/rules file in debian were long and complex and hard
to understand and maintain, I didn't start a flamewar or even send and
argue about a lot of patches, I just wrote a good tool to improve them.
When we saw that debian packages asked lots of questions over and over
each upgrade, and that that generally sucked in a lot of ways, we just
wrote a tool, did a lot of quiet work, and eventually it too became
standard and widely used, and everyone did the job of convincing the
holdouts that it was best for Debian to use it.

Both of these are examples of large changes that no one person had the
authority to direct. They're not the only examples, just examples that I
was involved in. But from these experiences I can say that anyone who
expects a flamewar will help them out is dead wrong.

--
see shy jo