Re: Release update

Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 04-Apr-04, 03:56 (CDT), Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> Javier Fern??ndez-Sanguino Pe??a wrote:
>>
>> The automatic portmap install sucks, and apparently is usually due to FAM
>> requiring and using RPC.
>
> Didn't we have this discussion last week? (See the archives, on "New
> portmap packages" and "Fam mustn't depend on portmap", in January 04.)
>
> The conclusion was that fam is written in a way to make it difficult to
> seperate,
I believe the conclusion was that the FAM authors/maintainers didn't want to
remove or optionalize the dependency, not that it was actually difficult to
avoid.

> and that portmap wasn't huge security risk anyway,
There was certainly no agreement on that.

> but that it
> should default to listening only on localhost.
Unfortunately, I believe it still listens everywhere by default.
And I think it has to in order to support other things like NFS.  :-P

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/