Re: Does IRC still required identd?

Martin Loschwitz dijo [Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 03:49:36PM +0200]:

> > > IRC users. A lot of IRC daemons expect the client to support identd
> > > services, even though it's completely useless.
> >
> > Hm. I have the impression that this is information is out of date,
> > though I'm certainly not an expert on it. I do know, however, that I've
> > used IRC since 1997, almost completely on machines without identd, and
> > that I don't recall having any problems due to it.
> >
> > Does anyone have a (recentish) example of where identd would be required
> > for IRC?
>
> Sure. As for IRCNet, the german IRCNet servers make it a requirement for
> users by the german Internet Service Provider T-Online to have an identd
> installed. You will just receive a friendly message telling you that you
> need to install identd if you try to connect via T-Online to IRCNet without
> one.

Using NAT to have more machines than IPs and to strengthen the
security of a large network of clueless users has become more and more
popular. What does T-Online say to users of NATted segments?

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23