Re: Does IRC still required identd?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 04:08:25PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> ma, 2004-04-05 kello 15:28, Steve Greenland kirjoitti:
> > On 04-Apr-04, 03:56 (CDT), Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> > > Who uses identd anyway? :-)
> >
> > IRC users. A lot of IRC daemons expect the client to support identd
> > services, even though it's completely useless.
>
> Hm. I have the impression that this is information is out of date,
> though I'm certainly not an expert on it. I do know, however, that I've
> used IRC since 1997, almost completely on machines without identd, and
> that I don't recall having any problems due to it.
>
> Does anyone have a (recentish) example of where identd would be required
> for IRC?

Sure. As for IRCNet, the german IRCNet servers make it a requirement for
users by the german Internet Service Provider T-Online to have an identd
installed. You will just receive a friendly message telling you that you
need to install identd if you try to connect via T-Online to IRCNet without
one.

--
  .''`.   Martin Loschwitz           Debian GNU/Linux developer
 : :'  :  madkiss@madkiss.org        madkiss@debian.org