Re: Renaming GNUstep packages

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004, William Ballard wrote:

> >     Me> In my opinion, the Right Thing here is following the de facto
> >     Me> standard for application packages: using the upstream
> >     Me> software's name as the package name.
> >
> >     BN> Whoever said that using the upstream name was a "de facto
> >     BN> standard?"
> >
> > Nobody said it. That's what makes it "de facto".
>
> As several have said, heretofore the two goals have not been in
> conflict, because the other upstream's names were not as generic as
> this.  Had they been, they too would have to prefix their package names
> in some way.

I have been doing that to stuff like "reconstruct" and "quota" in the
Cyrus packages (adding a "cyr" prefix to them) since day one.  The
previous maintainer of Cyrus did the same.  I am not the only one doing
such renames in his packages, I am sure.

So yes, the two goals have been in conflict in the past, numerous times.
But most maintainers fix such issues before there is any need for huge
flamewars.  I hope may do before the first upload of the package, even.

  Henrique Holschuh