Re: ifupdown

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a:

> > > What's the symptom?  "It doesn't work" doesn't tell me much.
> >
> > The symptom is that if you compile the package with noweb installed
>
> I don't have noweb installed.
>
> > (a Build-Depend which is not really stated but needed for some other stuff),
>
> An unstated build dependency?
> Sounds like a bug to me.
>
> > ?Didn't you not see this error?
> >
> > Makefile:101: ifupdown.d: No existe el fichero o el directorio
> > ./makenwdep.sh ifupdown.nw > ifupdown.d
> > ./makenwdep.sh: line 8: noroots: command not found
>
> The .deb got built.  I can't say what messages may have scrolled by.
> You're saying that a build step may fail but the .deb will get built
> nevertheless?

Hardly.  This is the same thing as not running autoconf/automake in
debian/rules, and not having them as Build-Depends.

Everything is fine, until you need to edit the .am or .ac files.  It's then
that you need them.

Build-Depends contain what is needed to build the package in debian; they
aren't a place to specify all possible programs that may be needed at some
time or another, when working with the package.