Re: Split packages providing services (Re: Release update)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:52:28PM +0200, Patrice Fortier wrote:
> What I mean is that you can't make any assumptions on what's "running"
> based on which package is installed.

I would say that if you install a package providing ``ftp-server'', you
can assume you have a ftp server run automatically; if you install an
``imap-server'' package, you have an imap server run on your system.
This only isn't true if the admin has disabled the service manually, and
``knows what he's doing''.

Regards, Gerrit.
--
Open projects at http://smarden.org/pape/.