Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 06:39:56PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:58:56PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> >> I know a specific reason Debian is losing users... AMD64. AMD expects to
> >> ship over 5 million amd64 chips this year, aiui. It currently costs less
> >> than $600 USD to build a complete AMD64 system. Also, every other major
>
> > That is a good and absolutely correct point.  Our amd64 development has
> > basically stalled because the difficulty of maintaining it without space
> > on ftp.debian.org has become an impediment to progress.
> [...]
>
> Have you got a refeence for this? My impression was that AMD64 is
> stalled because of technical problems at a basic level - the
> multiarch-problem is still unsolved.

Please see the amd64 archives for this year.

Your impression is incorrect.  We have a working "pure64" amd64 system,
autobuilt, that substantially works.  It has approximately 6000 packages
and people collaborating to work on it, but it has become exteremly
difficult to manage due to the inability to have a central repository
with access by multiple people and the ability to use the Debian BTS to
submit patches.

-- John