Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

it is true that debian has an image of being a system for computer
experts, which I might only agree in the poorly documentend
installation, I know the installation is autodocumented, but it is also
nice to have an external documentation that gives the quick steps to be
installed. after that I believe apt is as simple to the user as gentoo's
import, I can even say that to actually fully use the power of compiling
everything in gentoo you need to give the correct compiling flags,
something not in the hand of a newbie. In the other hand we have
software like synaptic which makes apt even simpler, making it a nice
gui instead of a command line (we all know how new users prefer to click
click to type).

gentoo has a pretty nice marketing of a free world, were the computer
will do what the user wants it to do, sounds nice, but by the moment
this is not more true than in other distro's like for example debian. I
believe gentoo is getting the user's because of being new and having
that image of revolutionary, some time will put things on its places.

about the compiling all your sistem, for new users is a waist of time
(in their mind) for experienced... try apt-build =)

	luis de bethencourt guimera