Re: updates to the base system packages list

On March 30, 2004 04:47 pm, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 30, Christopher Martin <christopher.martin@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> > How would the user then configure their PPPoE connection? pppoeconf
> > makes this task very easy, but it doesn't use the pppd pppoe plug-in,
> > from what I've seen as a user. Assuming I'm not missing some other
> > provided tool, removing pppoe (and therefore pppoeconf) would be a
> > serious blow to ease-of-use, at least until pppoeconf is modified to
> > use the support offered by the ppp package.
>
> Who cares? Fix pppoeconf if you care about it, but don't encourage
> users to use pppoe which is deprecated.
> It's not like copying /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/peers-pppoe to
> /etc/ppp/peers/ and adding the username there is hard anyway.

For "deprecated" software, it seems to work for most people. And while of
course you could simply ask our users to edit several ppp config files to
get their Internet working, you could also provide them the much easier
option of using pppoeconf. What would be gained by denying them this
option? 88k from the base install. Wow.

Of course, in an ideal world, pppoeconf would be modified to configure
pppd directly. Indeed, several people have volunteered to work on
pppoeconf, and I'll be sure to mention this issue to them. Until then,
please leave pppoe (and pppoeconf) where they are.

Christopher Martin