Re: updates to the base system packages list

On March 30, 2004 03:33 am, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I propose to:
>
> - remove pppoe and pppoeconf
> (Modern ppp releases include the pppoe pluging, which works better,
> making the pppoe package obsolete.)

How would the user then configure their PPPoE connection? pppoeconf makes
this task very easy, but it doesn't use the pppd pppoe plug-in, from what
I've seen as a user. Assuming I'm not missing some other provided tool,
removing pppoe (and therefore pppoeconf) would be a serious blow to
ease-of-use, at least until pppoeconf is modified to use the support
offered by the ppp package.

> - add module-init-tools
> (If modutils is in base m-i-t should too.)

Absolutely. Somewhat related, how does dhcp-client work with the 2.6
kernels? There are reports open against it (188546, 224354) which suggest
that it doesn't work at all with 2.6. I myself had such a problem some
months ago, and so switched to dhcp3-client (which has other problems,
but more or less works in most circumstances).

Christopher Martin