Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:45:56AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> 2) We need a (Knoppix derived) Live CD for demonstration purposes
> for each CDD (see various threads on debian-devel and debian-knoppix
> project on Alioth.

I think that the nature of what subprojects produce should ultimately
be up to that project. Many CDDs will want to create live CDs. Some
might not.

That said, if what a large number of subprojects wants to do is
similar (e.g., creating custom distros using package selection and
custom package configuration) and we go about it in similar ways
(e.g., a consistent form of package lists and low-priority debconf
pacakges in the official debian packages adding the configuration
customization we need) we can pretty easy describe or set up a common
infrastructure to go from here to either d-i installable CDs or to
bootable CDs using Morphix, Knoppix, debix, or whatever.

What we need to do now is focus on the documenting those practices
that have been successful and adapting them for wide application.

> => We need tools to build an easily customizable Knoppix CD which
> can be builded from scratch by using Debian-Mirror and Debian tools
> exclusively.

I'm not sure I agree although I would not be opposed to having these
around. I am, of course, hugely in support of getting the tools
necessary to build Morphix/Knoppix/debix fully within Debian to help
pave the way for people that want to work toward goals like this. I
think we should focus on documenting these processes that we have
already first.

Regards,
Mako

--