Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

Roger Leigh escribió:

"Per Olofsson" <pelle@dsv.su.se> writes:

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:23 +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
but in the long run, we may want to code them in UTF8, and/or to provide a way to internationalize them ( .ppd.po ? )
Are you aware of any PPD-using packages which support translated PPDs?

Gimp-Print PPDs are fully internationalised.  Unfortuately the PPD
spec doesn't provide for multiple languages in a single file, so for
each supported printer model there is a PPD for each language.  Since
this would take up over 20 MiB, I only provide English ones at
present.

In the future, they will be generated at install time.

WRT UTF-8, I believe that some software is buggy when handling non
8-bit encodings (Windows drivers?).  Since the PPDs will be used on
whatever clients OSes might wish to submit print jobs, we've stuck
with Latin1 for the time being.

What about use po files ?? or dowload a locale version from the default driver ( dowloading the locale version from the internet using the default installed package).

Regards.