Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

"Per Olofsson" <pelle@dsv.su.se> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:23 +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
>> but in the long run, we may want to code them in UTF8, and/or to provide
>> a way to internationalize them ( .ppd.po ? )
>
> Are you aware of any PPD-using packages which support translated PPDs?

Gimp-Print PPDs are fully internationalised.  Unfortuately the PPD
spec doesn't provide for multiple languages in a single file, so for
each supported printer model there is a PPD for each language.  Since
this would take up over 20 MiB, I only provide English ones at
present.

In the future, they will be generated at install time.

WRT UTF-8, I believe that some software is buggy when handling non
8-bit encodings (Windows drivers?).  Since the PPDs will be used on
whatever clients OSes might wish to submit print jobs, we've stuck
with Latin1 for the time being.

--
Roger Leigh