Re: Componentized linux?

Daniel Ruoso dijo [Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 07:55:57PM -0300]:
> Yes, that's why the "stable" word in debian doesn't mean stable
> software, but stable distribution. If we have a "componentized" linux we
> can have stable software released earlier, but we couldn't get a stable
> distribution.
>
> The example of postgresql and gda2-postgres illustrates very well the
> problem. I can't see a way to "componentize" the choosing of wich
> version of postgresql gda2-postgres should expect except then being
> non-componentized. That's what "stable distribution" means.
>
> There are other ways of getting "stable software" released earlier in a
> "not-so-stable distribution", and I think componentization is not the
> way, but (as I've suggested in other posts) categorizing the "upstream
> status" of the software (is the upstream stable? beta? alpha?
> vapourware?) and create a dynamic release (just like testing) that tries
> to group all the software that have a "stable upstream status". [Yes,
> it's a proposal]

...Remember that in Debian, even in Unstable, we do not want to
package unstable software - not, at least, without clearly marking it
as such (i.e. we have mozilla-* and mozilla-*-snapshot). Yes, I
understand your point, we should probably try each package to play
nicely with its 'neighbors' and only then with not-so-related
packages... But anyway, every package you upload to the archive should
be releasable should a freeze be declared right away.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23