Re: Cache-Control: max-age sent by apt might delay installation of security updates (was: apt experimental breaks w/ webcaching)

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 01:13, Luigi Gangitano wrote:
> Il sab, 2004-02-28 alle 21:10, Marc Haber ha scritto:
> > The problem that I see is the following: From what I have understood
> > and tested, squid will not even ask the server addressed in the URL
> > for a later version if the object in the local cache is younger than
> > the max-age value given by the client.
> >
> > This means the following: If a client does apt-get update via a squid
> > at time x, and Debian issues a security update at time x+10m, all
> > clients using this squid instance and apt 0.5 will not get that
> > security update until x+86400s, which might be 86399 seconds too late.
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't even true. Please see bug #222499 on why squid
> doesn't even consider max-age if the request type is 'HEAD'. And at
> least apt-proxy does such requests. I must verify the kind of requests
> done by apt.

Fixed in 3.0 IIRC. And yes, we will release before the year 3000 ;).
While I don't have time right now to do a patch for 2.5, you might add a
bug to the squid bugzilla, so we don't forget about it.

Rob