Re: OT: Free Software and politics

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:27:06PM +0100, Mathieu Roy scribbled:
> Marek Habersack <grendel@debian.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> It's scarier than that.  Politics is mostly about people trying to do
> >> the right thing and fucking it up.  That is a far, far scarier thought
> >> to digest then the fact that malevolence is involved.
> > I'm not sure I agree - errare humanum est - to err is human. Everybody has
> > the right to make mistakes, to fuck something/anything up. But the key lies
> > in admitting to the mistake and LEARNING from it. Politicians, in my eye,
> > don't ever do that. That's scary. And it's even scarier that people allow
> > them to do it over and over again.
>
> I think you misunderstood my point. When I talked about politics, I
> use the word in the original ancient greek sense, not in the policians
> sense.
I see.

> As a matter of fact, most politicians are just being politicians, not
> doing politics. When you work for your party instead of your country,
> or are indeed not doing politics.
I can only agree with it .

> That probably why it is not obvious to you that doing Free Software is
> a political stand. You argue that Free Software is not about being
> polician (being politician) and that Software is not in itself about
> politics, while I'm just saying that Free Software is about politics.
Put that way, everything is about politics. But I, as a person, refuse to
have anything to do with politics and politicians - in my humble personal
opinion the code I write doesn't serve any political purpose, it merely
serves the purpose of giving other people a tool to do their work. For me
(even if the view is limited) free software is about software only. I'm not
even sure whether I can tell about myself that I'm involved in the free
software or open source "movements". I just write software which happens to
be open source (and let me stress that - open source, given the fsf
definition) but that doesn't mean I politically (in the greek sense you
mentioned) support any person or party trying to make a political statement
using this or other free software. In fact, I refuse being identified with
any political notion attached by somebody to software without my explicit
consent - i.e. never by implication because of the fact that I write free
software (especially that I don't agree with many things advocated and
promoted by FSF/GNU - but please, let's not involve in discussion about that
issue. My views are mine and I doubt anybody cares to hear them). For all
those reasons I see that the only fair thing is to let people have their own
stance and opinions and not put anybody in confines of any definition
without their consent - as far as our subject of interest goes, that is
software coding.

> > marek
> >
> > p.s. let's move the topic out of this list, if you want to answer me, do it
> > in private, please.
>
> Well, the title changed, so there's no risk of confusion. We are at
> least 3 persons on that list interested in the subject, I see no
> reason to go private and to exclude someone else from the discussion.
<provocation>
Just wait a while :). You'll probably see for yourself (not that the signal
to noise ratio is low in the other threads, but there is always someone
waiting to bitch).
</provocation>

:>

marek