Re: Debian and Novell

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 08:19:19AM -0000, Stephen Birch wrote:

> Is there any chance you have VMWare configured with the emulated
> disk drive set to dynamic? In that mode, VMWare will discard all
> changes made to the virtual disk drives at each restart.

Irrelevant; it is the host OS I'm talking about. Err... I might be
making a vocabulary error here (not native speaker): I mean the OS
that is running on the "real" machine, not the one running in the
virtual machine.

> I would be very, very suprised if VMWare looks at links in
> /etc/rc*.d.  VMWare normally just creates the environment, it
> doesn't look inside the emulation.

Yes, but it looks at stuff in the environment it is running _in_ (not
in the virtual machine). Maybe this particular piece has changed since
3.0 days, too.