On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:41:01PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
> > "We will be *guided* by the needs of our users [...]" (emphasis mine,
> > but you probably saw that already). That doesn't mean "we'll jump at
> > their every whim", or even "we'll do whatever our users tell us to do".
>
> Please, use quotes when it is appropriate -- when you are truly
> quoting.
>
> I said enough, you are not forced to forge quotations to describe what
> I think.

Don't be silly. I didn't add anything to what you wrote, it most
certainly was a quotation. You may think that I disrupted the context,
but that's a different matter entirely. Just for the record I'd like to
say I don't think I did misquote you, but I don't read minds and can't
know what you meant other than by reading what you wrote.

> > It means we'll listen to them,
> [...]
> > It does, but your interpretation of it doesn't.
>
> Unfortunately, you share my interpretation.

If that is true, then you should express yourself more clearly.

> I said that users should have a say: it means Debian will listen to
> users.

Well, in my book, "having a say" means that you get to be part of the
decision-making process. That isn't true for our users; they can express
their concerns, and we'll listen to them when it's appropriate, but that
doesn't mean we have to.

We'll be *guided* by their needs.

[...]
> Apart from that, anybody have a say on how others acts, unless you
> live under a dictatorship.

That's bullshit. Even in non-dictatorial states, there's usually a whole
bunch of people with the power to tell you how you should act (the
police, judges, etc). That said, I'd like to point you at the fact that
Debian is by no means a democracy or a dictatorship.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."