On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:09:07 +0100
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:

> Op do 12-02-2004, om 10:23 schreef Tim Dijkstra:
> > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:52:47 +1000
> > Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > > The people who get to decided whether the help is useful or not
> > > are the ones doing the job, not the ones offering the help.
> >
> > These people do not 'own' these jobs, do they?
>
> More or less, yeah, they do. If you're doing the work, you don't want
> others to stand in your way because, hey, you don't "own" it, and they
> want to be part of it too.

That's not what I'm saying ... If something is going wrong, other people
in the project see that, then they should be allowed to help, shouldn't
they. (This under assumption there's something they can help with)

> > I would say that debian as a project should decide if help is needed
> > or not.
>
> Hah.
>
> That would probably just result in a lot of bickering, flaming, and no
> actual work being done.

Well not the whole organisation maybe, but at least some more people
then only the guy in question.

> > Based on some
> > objective measure of 'doing the job' of course.
>
> That's too vague. If you're really serious about this, work it out
> first before suggesting it.

It was meant to be abstract. My point was that [I think that] an
organisation can't work if the only people judging somebodies
work are the people themselves.

grts Tim

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the above applies to the topic in the
subject, I don't know enough about it. I'm just reacting to the
statement that people doing a certain job in the project are the only
ones who can judge they need help with that job.