Re: Packages still using old-style debconf

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:15:53AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:38:35 +1100, Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
>> What is the best reference to lean about the advantages of the new
>> system and how to switch over to it?

> Well the disadvantage of the new system clearly is that backports have
> become much harder unless there is a backport of po-debconf. I have
> tried that, but it's harder than expected because of the truckload of
> dependencies that po-debconf has.

Backporting po-debconf is easy, because unnecessary. po-dedebconf
from sid can be directly installed on woody. The problem you are
refering to is that you need a newer debhelper, if there is no
Colin-magic involved.

> And we still have maintainers refusing to apply Colin Watson's
> po-debconf backporting helper to their packages.

Imho the whole approach is rather messy, in retrospect it might have
been easier if the "new style" templates did not use the same
filename, but that's is crying over spilt milk.

> This is a decidedly bad thing in these days where backports have
> become essential to running Debian stable.

The easiest way is to dump translations in the backport and use
perl -pi -e 's/^_+//' debian/*.templates
                 cu andreas