Re: Packages still using old-style debconf

*  (Denis Barbier)

| On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:59:58PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| [...]
| > I'm _not_ going to change my description and choices to ASCII; they
| > are Latin1 and can surely be recoded to UTF8 or something if that'll
| > help, but I'm not going to transcode them.
| [...]
|
| Having non-ASCII characters gives the following result:
|   $ LANG=C sudo apt-get install aspell-no
|   As you might know, Norwegian has two different written forms bokm??l
|   and nynorsk.  Which one do you want aspell to use as Norwegian?
|      nynorsk
|      bokm

This is because Debconf doesn't know what encoding they are in, see
#217110.  I don't care if Debconf transliterates them, what I care
about is how the debian/templates file look.  Once I understand how I
tell Debconf their encoding the problem should go away.

| How characters are misdisplayed depend on the frontend, but in any case
| it does not work.

If I had marked them as UTF8 and Debconf had misdisplayed it, it would
be a Debconf bug.

| FYI the templates shipped in your binary packages *are* UTF-8 encoded
| and contain no translations whereas your source package contains
| many translated templates.  Oh wait, there is one: wnorwegian.templates.no.
| How did it survive?

I do the Norwegian translation myself, the other translations are
fuzzy because of encoding issues.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-