Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:46:52AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

This has been going on for a long time.  Apparently everything is
bottlenecked either by Ryan Murray or by James Troup.  Ingo Juergensmann
<ij@spice.cologne.de> can provide plenty of information.

This is really an unacceptable situation.

I'm asking you, the DPL, to do something about it.  If the current delegates
cannot or will not do what they need to do, *you* need to replace them.

For sure James and Ryan are way too idle and don't have enough work, and
I'm sure they are easily replaceable. Their job is cake work, and any
idiot could do it.

(I really hope you sense the sarcasm. I may not be Branden, but I do
what I can)

Really though, your complaint is just vague enough to not matter.

If they don't have enough time, _and_ _they_ _don't_, they should give
up some easy jobs like handling the wanna-build.

Or just accept the offered buildd and admin for the mips/mipsel archs
so Ryan has less work there.  But the offer of mips/mipsel buildds has
been refused and getting wanna-build access takes ages.
This is precisely the problem.  Now that is not vague, is it?

The
"doorstopper" arch m68k had buildds idling, and still has, because
they can't get the list of packages that need to be build.

Some more background: m68k had its own wanna-build but was asked to
join the global one. Now there is serious talk about going back to
using our own wanna-build again because the situation is to disruptive
to the m68k port. Lets take a bleak look: What would we do if a system
got broken into and needs to be excluded again? Have some hacker have
access to wanna-build for 2 weeks while we scream at james to exclude
it?

Also 79 packages where held out of sarge because qt-x11-free didn't
get build by the mipsel buildd the last 4 weeks. And the only reason
the problem is solved is that I build it manualy and got a binary NMU
sponsored for it. No reply from Ryan why it wasn't build or that he
would even look into it.

I don't think Nathanael wants to get James and Ryan replaced on the
more important/security problematic jobs but get them to delegate the
easy ones.
Quite right.

Perhaps I could restate my complaint as follows:
Delegates in "bottleneck" positions, whatever they may be, should not be preventing much-needed and already-offered improvements in the mips, mipsel, and m68k buildd systems. Currently they *are*. This is, as I said before, unacceptable. As far as I can tell, only the DPL has authority to do anything about it.

If you want more info on the complains ask IJ or read the irc logs of
debian-devel. TBM should be aware enough of the problems since he was
asked often enough on irc about its status.

MfG
        Goswin

Thank you for explaining this so much more cogently than I did.