On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:46:52AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

[Debian needs more buildds - in particular on mips and mipsel]

Here several issues come together. I can only speak for mipsel
firsthand, though.

We originally had two mipsel buildds (keeping up quite well), of
which one is currently mostly unavailable due to instabilities. First
suspect was a broken fan, but there seems to be another
hardware-related problem which is not clear yet. Florian Lohoff is
looking into this.

Several attempts have been made to get a replacement online, but this
has up to now failed for various reasons:

- One machine arrived DOA.

- We have a Cobalt/mipsel system available, but we have serious
  stability problems on this type of system with current kernels
  (which are needed by current glibc on mipsel, so running with an
  old kernel is not an option). This is being worked on.

- Another machine has been offered as an additional mipsel buildd
  a few days ago - we are currently waiting for Ryan's response
  regarding this box.

In general, I consider another mipsel buildd besides the two
"normal" ones a good idea - it helps in situations like now
when one machine is unavailable.

Regards,
Karsten
--