Re: Library packages depending on data files

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 11:28:32PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 06:25:49PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 02:29:20PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Those aren't generic flaws in the idea. The first is fixable in the
> > > testing scripts but just hasn't been done (aj is happy with the idea, I
> > > believe, but it's more sensible to do it at the start of a release
> > > cycle). The second should be fixable by bug tracking system
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > improvements, which as of recently are finally making progress again.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > There are still problems with testing that aren't as easy solvable.
> >
> > If testing is frozen, there will be at the beginning of the freeze
> > packages with a more recent version in unstable than in testing. Someone
> > will have to check _all_ these packages whether an important fix is
> > missing in the package in testing or e.g. a known security hole might
> > stay in testing.
> >
> > It would be better if the BTS wouldn't close bugs unless they are fixed
> > in testing (only mark them as fixed-in-unstable) and close them when
> > they are fixed in testing.
>
> I have no comment beyond underlining what I wrote above, and which you
> apparently missed.

I didn't missed it. In this part of my mail I do agree with you.

You silently omitted in your reply the most important part of my mail
that followed directly after this:

<--  snip  -->

But even this might break if there were problems fixed in a new release
that were never reported to the BTS.

These kind of problems can in no way I can imagine be handled
automatically, and considering e.g. the number of trivial to fix open
bugs a "the maintainers are responsible for this task" is not an option.

<--  snip  -->

No matter how much you improve the BTS, such issues can't be solved this
way since they were never in the BTS.

You might even release a new stable that contains a security hole that
was closed by a DSA in the old stable...

> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.