Re: Library packages depending on data files

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 05:48:08PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Moin Adrian!
> Adrian Bunk schrieb am Wednesday, den 04. February 2004:
>
> > > It is necessary to support having multiple ABI versions of a library
> > > installed at once.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > E.g. the KDE maintainers did explicitely disallow installing multiple
> > so-versions of kdelibs at the same time.
>
> Adrian, you should know better than most people here that this method sucks.

The most important question is the effect on users, and for users I
don't see why this method sucks.

> > And considering as an example the strange mixture of GNOME 1 and GNOME 2
> > that was in testing for some months, which was caused by the fact that
> > the GNOME 1 and GNOME 2 libraries can be installed at the same time,
> > disallowing multiple so-versions installed at the same time results in a
> > more consistent testing.
>
> Mutual exclusion of different ABIs would not have solved anything here.

testing:

Package: libv0
Version: 1

Package: proga
Depends: libv0
Version: 1

Package: progb
Depends: libv0
Version: 1

unstable:

Package: libv1
Version: 2

Package: proga
Depends: libv1
Version: 2

Package: progb
Depends: libv1
Version: 2

The way testing works, if both libv0 and libv1 can go into testing,
proga can enter testing years before progb.

If only one of libv0 and libv1 can be into testing, proga and progb have
to enter testing at the same time.

Exactly this was observed with KDE and GNOME:
KDE 2.2 in testing was horribly outdated, but it was consistent, and
when KDE 3 entered testing, a complete KDE 3 entered testing.
OTOH, the transition from GNOME 1 to GNOME 2 happened step for step, and
I know several people who switched to unstable since the GNOME in
testing was unusable.

> Regards,
> Eduard.

cu